Wednesday, January 13, 2016

37. Back to Reality
Dave left for group and I turned my attention to my email.  According to the messages caught in my spam filter, life was about to get much better.
I called my wife to share the good news. “For $100 you can buy a device that cuts your electric bill by two-thirds. Power companies hate it.  That may not matter because a woman in Qatar will split her inheritance with me if I’ll pay the processing fees with my credit card. Might be a scam, but I have a backup plan.  Did you know you could make $8,000 a month working an hour a day from home? I hope being rich doesn’t change us.” I didn’t have the heart to tell her about the Russian women lining up to meet me.
She laughed. “Hate to bring you back to reality, but we’re out of milk. My car’s due for state inspection. Two hundred thousand miles – you know it’ll need work.  Don’t forget you’re taking Brat Boy to the orthodontist tomorrow. Since we’re not rich yet, how does ordering pizza and watching a movie sound?”
It sounded like heaven. After I hit bottom, getting to where I could enjoy reality had taken some effort.  I wasn’t about to pass up a chance to do so.

Today I will enjoy reality whenever I can.

Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment