Monday, January 11, 2016

35. Fault lines
When I got to work the next day, DUI Dave was sitting by himself in the group room, staring at the floor.
“I’m an ass,” he said.  “I’ve know it for years.”  I could have argued with him, but doubted I’d sound sincere.  I waited for him to speak again.
“Mostly I drink ‘cause I like to,” he added. “But a lot of times I drink ‘cause I hate when I’m wrong and can’t admit it. That happens a lot.  The more wrong I am, the louder and drunker I get. It cost me my first marriage. I’d like to make a 180 degree turn, but if I do, I’ll have to apologize to a million people. ”
I said, “You won’t change overnight and you don’t have to apologize to everyone all at once.  Most people don’t demolish their faults, they chip away at them.” I brought him into my office and showed him my filing system, spread sheets, and other tools I used in a semi-successful attempt to stay organized. “I’ve been chipping away at my tendency to be disorganized for more than a decade.  Progress, not perfection.”

Today I will chip away at my faults.
Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment