Tuesday, January 5, 2016

31. Almost Ready
After I finished with Terrence, I got a text from an old friend. After five years, he was almost done researching his novel.
I wrote ‘A guy sent us a ten page questionnaire on our treatment program. He looked into methadone, nutrition, and acupuncture. He’d call me to discuss Twelve Step programs, going over every little detail, including their history.  He did a spread sheet on the cost of treatment, how much insurance covered, and benefits of upscale facilities.  He OD’d. The hospital sent him from their ER to the first recovery program they called that had an open bed.  He’s clean maybe ten years now.’  
‘What’s your point?’ my friend typed.
‘All that research was a way to put off getting help. Stop researching and write the novel now. Procrastination often disguises itself as preparation.’

Today I will remember procrastination often disguises itself as preparation.

Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment