Sunday, March 6, 2016

74. 75 Years of Turning Beer into Urine Does not a Life Make

The next day was going to be family day, and I could hear the Kid telling the group why he didn't want to invite his father.

"Dad has a keg in the basement," the Kid said. "Every night after work he drinks from 6:00 to 10:00.  On weekends he watches TV and drinks.  Dad never gets a DUI.  He always goes to work. He doesn't fight with his family because we stay out of his way. He doesn't understand why I can't quit the pills and join him in the basement."  The Kid was terrified of sinking into his father's pattern.  "Unless his liver fails, he could shuttle between work and the basement the rest of his life."

I thought of two quotes.  My first sponsor had said to me, "Montrose you were put on this earth to do to more than turn to beer into urine."   I had recently stumbled across a Robin Sharma quote: "Don't live the same year 75 times and call it a life."  These two quotes left me wanting to do something useful, and something different each day.  I hoped the Kid would get that message.

Today I will do something different and useful. 

Sober Not Somber (c) 2015, 2016 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment