Sunday, March 13, 2016

79. Not Waiting for the Near Death Experience
“Hi Marty,” The Kid said to the man in the ball cap. Later The Kid explained his father got sued a lot and Marty often served the papers.  “Dad’s addicted to money.  He makes a little through shady deals, but mostly he lives off my mother’s inheritance.  Mom’s addicted to drama and sex.  Choosing just the wrong partner feeds both her addictions. Dad won’t leave her because of his.  My fifteen-year-old sister makes straight A’s, hasn’t gained a pound since she was twelve, and looks like she’s thirty without her makeup.  She’s addicted to perfection, control, and energy drinks.” 

“And you?” I asked.

“I was addicted to keeping the family together.  And Ambien and vodka.” He paused, and added, “The philosopher was wrong.  The overdose that didn’t kill me didn’t make me stronger.  It made me see I needed to make myself stronger. I’ve got a lot of heavy lifting to do, starting with separating from my family.” He smiled, but wiped his eyes.  

Today I’ll make myself stronger. I won’t wait for something to almost kill me.

Sober Not Somber © 2015, 2016 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment