Tuesday, March 8, 2016

76. Batter Battles
Blondie announced she was making dinner and Brat Boy was going to help. Blondie alone could make dinner in thirty minutes.  With Brat Boy’s help she might finish in just under two hours.

One would hit the other with a spatula. There’d be a chase. Blondie would sprinkle flour in Brat Boy’s hair and tell him he was going gray.  Work would stop for really bad dancing and singing. One of them would try to rap. Somebody would forget whether he or she had added one of the ingredients.  They would laugh and carry on until my wife or I asked them to please hurry up.

When Blondie made her announcement I was worrying about election politics, and money I might not collect for trainings because of my state’s budget impasse.  I had been thinking about people I loved getting old, the heroin epidemic, college tuition, and work piling up.  ‘I don’t have time for this,’ I thought at first.  ‘I need this,’ I thought next. “Can you guys make brownies?” I asked.  ‘Batter battle,’ I thought to myself. ‘Nothing funnier.’

No matter what worries I have today, I will make time for silliness and laughter.
Sober Not Somber © 2015, 2016 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment