Wednesday, March 9, 2016

77. Parting Shots
The next day Norman was standing in front of the building with the smokers when I got there.  A tall, thin man in a baseball cap approached the group.  I recognized him, but couldn’t remember where we’d met. When he pulled an envelope from his pocket, I knew.  He had served me papers years earlier when Dave from my home-group  –  not to be confused with DUI Dave  – had tried to sue me for not getting him out of jail.

The man in the ball cap handed Norman an envelope. Divorce papers.  DUI Dave told the man to hit the road.  Matey put his arm around Norman’s shoulder.  Andra tried to hide her smile. Marjorie stumbled up to the group, a little unsteady on her feet.

I understood Norman’s wife’s anger.  He’d run up enormous fines and court costs.  Far worse, he had almost killed their son. Having papers served on him in front of his new friends may have been her parting shot.  In her shoes, I might have done the same.  On the other hand, I had seen parting shots invite return fire.  If the wronged person could, they were better off letting things go and moving on quietly.
Today I will try to let go quietly.

Sober Not Somber © 2015, 2016 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment