Tuesday, March 15, 2016

81. A Photoshopped Life
“You know where I want to go?” The Kid asked. “Somewhere I’m not photoshopped into the picture.  Do you know what I mean?” I didn’t, and The Kid went on.

He said, “If someone does a good job with photo shop, you can hardly tell the picture was changed.  But look closely, you’ll see something doesn’t fit.  I’ve always felt that way about my life.  I shouldn’t be running the family finances.  I’m a kid photoshopped into an adult role.  The role doesn’t fit me, but to the outside world, I look like part of a picture perfect family.  I don’t think I can stay sober until I cut myself out of that picture.”  

I smiled, thinking he was wise beyond his years.  He had taken an old adage, ‘To thine own self be true,’ and given it a modern twist, ‘Don’t live a photoshopped life.’

Today I won’t live a photoshopped life.

Sober Not Somber © 2015, 2016 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment