Monday, March 7, 2016

75. You’ll Get Used To It
When I got home that night Brat Boy was limping.  He’d gotten blisters from his new sneakers. I asked him if he wanted to return them to the store.

“No,” he said, shaking his head. “Once I break ‘em in, it’ll all be good.” He pointed to his sneakers with a look I’d expect to see on the face of a new mother sharing pictures of her first child. “I love these shoes.”

“Sometimes even good things take a while to get used to,” I said.  “It pays to be patient.”

“You promised one day I’d love having a baby brother,” Blondie said, laughing and punching Brat Boy.  “It’s been fifteen years.”

I remembered knowing recovery was a good thing, hating it early on, but learning to enjoy my new life more than I would have thought possible. I made a list of all the good changes I’d seen people make that had taken them a while to get used to.

Today I will remember even good things may require a ‘breaking in’ period.

Sober Not Somber © 2015, 2016 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment