Thursday, March 10, 2016

78. Row, Row, Row
When DUI Dave saw that Marjorie had been drinking, he hit the roof.
Marjorie had a dozen excuses, none of which made a dent in Dave’s anger.  I thought Dave went a little overboard, but his intentions were good.

It reminded me of an argument I’d overheard about self-groups.  The first man said self-help groups were just a place for people to whine about their troubles. The second man said a good group supports people, but confronts them about making excuses and whining.  He went on to say having someone in the same boat helps because they know when you’re conning yourself and them.  They don’t want to hear why you aren’t  helping yourself, why you aren’t rowing.   

Today I’ll row rather than trying to con my boat mates.

Sober Not Somber © 2015, 2016 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment