Thursday, September 3, 2015

51. The Truth Comes Out
Phil tested positive for benzodiazepines.  He immediately withdrew his written permission for us to talk to his wife.  Phil thought she might be unhappy he had relapsed on her Xanax prescription. Miss Rella told him it wouldn’t take his wife long to figure out why we couldn’t talk to her.
I suggested Phil watch the news.  “You see really old cases getting solved, and even older verdicts overturned. The truth has a way of coming out eventually.”
“It’s not my fault she didn’t hide her pills very well,” Phil said. “She knows I’m an addict.  Now I just need a little time to figure out how I’m gonna handle her.”
The next time we heard from Phil he was staying at the mission.  The truth was obvious to Carolyn.

Today I will be grateful I am honest because the truth tends to come out eventually.
 
Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment