Monday, September 14, 2015

57. How Do You Like Them Apples?
“I finally remembered where I’d heard your last name,” Tara said.  She had stopped by my office on her way out of the building at the end of the day. “My daughter goes to school with your son. Her name is Amanda.”
The apple hadn’t fallen far from the tree. Being demanding and entitled like her mother had earned her the nickname ‘Demanda’. Now Amanda was trying to change. She was an apple trying to roll away from the tree.  I doubted she was getting any support from her mother.  I knew from my children that Amanda’s father wasn’t very involved in her life.
Because of confidentiality regulations I couldn’t tell my children anything about Tara or Amanda. I could encourage them to support Amanda.  And, I could take inspiration from someone so young, with so little support, trying not to be an apple that hadn't fallen far from a bitter tree.

Today I will do what I can to help ‘bad apples’ roll away from the tree.


Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment