Wednesday, September 16, 2015

59. Clear Conscience
While he was signing out for the day, Sam overheard Ms. Rella take a message, “Got it. Have Ken call trooper McAdams tomorrow at the Greensburg barracks.  I’ll make sure he calls you in the morning.”  Sam jumped to the conclusion the trooper was calling The Other Ken about him. He assumed he and his lawyer were in trouble over some shady dealings aimed at restoring his custody of his son.  Thinking he’d lost any chance of seeing the boy again, he got high that night. 
The call had been for me.  Trooper McAdams was putting together a community presentation on the opiate epidemic.  He wanted me to recommend an expert to discuss opiates and brain chemistry.  Sam’s guilty conscience had sabotaged his recovery and happiness in the most unpredictable way.  I added ‘a clear conscience’ to that day’s gratitude list.

Today I will be grateful for a clear conscience.

Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment