Tuesday, September 15, 2015

58. Time for a Change?
“I’d ask you if you disliked me, but I don’t think you’d be truthful,” Tara said.  I thought I might.  “I don’t like me either,” she added, “but I want to.  My husband has early onset Alzheimer’s.  It’s shaken us up.  He was the kind of guy who’d run you over in a crosswalk, then sue you for getting blood on his Mercedes.  Suddenly he’s apologizing to people and giving money to charity.  I’m in rehab and Amanda is dating a nice kid her own age. We want to be different people right now because we don’t know what he’ll be like tomorrow.  I gotta tell you, being kind doesn’t come easily to me, but I hear the clock ticking.”  She started to cry.

Today I will be grateful for changes I don’t have to make in a hurry.

Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment