Wednesday, April 12, 2017

14. Seriously
Daphne was smoking in front of the building when I got to work the next day.  A gray haired woman in her early seventies, she had been a client several years earlier. Every Tuesday she dropped in for the continuing care group.
“You still married?” she asked as she hugged me.   “Your wife must be a saint.”
“You’re still not in prison?” I answered.  “You must have friends in high places.”
We traded insults for a few minutes more, smiling and laughing.  Jameston walked past and shot us a disapproving look.
“He’s one of those guys who takes everything way too seriously, isn’t he?” Daphne asked. I nodded.
“Well here’s my five year key tag,” she said, pulling her key chain from her pocket. “Just got it.  Guess I took things seriously enough.”
“You always did,” I said, “without taking yourself too seriously.”
She smiled, ground out her cigarette, and asked, “You get dressed in the dark this morning?”

Today I won’t be any more serious than I need to be.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment