Wednesday, April 5, 2017

9. Setbacks
When I got home, Brat Boy asked me if I could take him to school the next day.  “You OK?” I asked.  He nodded his head, but he looked pasty white. Sweat glistened on his forehead.  “Let me guess. No matter how bad you feel, you want to play in tomorrow’s game. ” Again he nodded.  “What if you throw up during the game?”
“Then nobody will want to guard me,” he said.  “I should score a ton.”
I knew how he felt.  He’d worked hard in practice and deserved to play. Missing a game was like working all week without collecting a paycheck.  On the other hand, playing sick would only make him sicker.  Being too sick to play was an unexpected setback he’d have to accept.
“If you’re not feeling better, I don’t want you to go to school tomorrow,” I said.  I expected an argument, but he just groaned.
Today I will accept setbacks are part of life.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment