Wednesday, April 26, 2017

22. Living in the Past
“What’s the third reason to look back?” Austin asked.
“To live a little,” I said. “To tell the people, places, and things that had hurt you to kiss off, I’m still here! Maybe say out loud to the world, ‘you hit like a little girl,’ even if you felt beat and battered at the time.” Austin touched the scar below his ear.
I added, “To relive the good times. The more independent my kids get, the happier I am about the time I spent with them when they were little.  When Blondie talks about choosing a career, I remember her choosing what we’d watch.  I really started to hate the Olsen twins and their sappy movies. Brat Boy operates a car, but I remember when he’d get so excited he couldn’t work a fishing reel.  He’d walk backwards until the fish was almost on dry land so I could take it off the hook.  I don’t live in the past, but every now and then I do pay it a visit.”
Today I will live a little, in the past.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment