Monday, April 17, 2017

15. Vanity
As we walked into the building, I noticed Daphne was limping.
“Do you want to take my arm?”  I asked.  “I think there’s a cane in the group room you can borrow.”
“Canes are for old people,” she said, smiling. “I wouldn’t want anyone to see me using one.”
“Your vanity is going to cost you,” I said.  She started to argue but I pointed out, “You’d be steadier on your feet if you used a cane, but you won’t.  How much time, money, and pain would falling and breaking a hip cost you?  I remember when you first got here you were too vain to ask for help. You relapsed twice. What did that cost you?”
Daphne shrugged, “If you were me, you’d be a little vain too.”
We laughed, but I wondered what vanity was costing me.
Today I’ll take stock of my vanity.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment