Tuesday, April 4, 2017

8. Gratefully Silly Stupid
The chairman called for the readings, and the meeting began. The speaker was a short, tan, middle-aged man in a gray suit. 
He spoke in a soft, deliberate voice, “My nephews weren’t allowed to swear, so they called me ‘A’hole Uncle.’  That got shortened to ‘A-Unc.’ For years I thought they were saying ‘Hey Unc.’”   As he spoke it became clear he’d earned the A’hole Uncle nickname
Near the end of his lead he said, “I used to do sad, dangerous, stupid things. One night I wrecked my car, marriage, and my career.  You never want to get a DUI at 3:00 a.m. with the boss’s daughter in the car.”  He took a sip of water and smiled. “I’ve come a long way. Now I do silly, stupid things, like looking for the glasses sitting on top of my head, or putting the phone down to look for the phone, or sending that ‘I love you’ text to my old probation officer instead of my girlfriend. Like the slogan says, progress not perfection.”

Today I’ll be grateful for the silly, stupid things I do.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment