Thursday, April 20, 2017

18. Annoying Shadows
Austin flipped back to the page where he’d drawn his brother.  He added the shadow of a man to the right side.  “I’m coming bro,” he said softly.  
Jameston, who had been looking over Austin’s shoulder, said, “The shadow is wrong.”
“I know,” Austin said. “I’m not going for realism, just trying to express my thoughts.”
“The sun is in the west.  The shadow should fall left to right.”
“Got it.  Like I said, I’m not going for realism.  Just trying to catch an idea.”
Jameston turned to me and said, “He’s doing it wrong.  The shadow can’t be where he’s drawn it.”
“Let it go,” I said. “It’s Austin’s drawing.”  Twenty minutes later when The Other Ken arrived, Jameston was still arguing about the shadow with the rest of the group.  Most of the group saw Austin’s talent, and the love Austin felt for his brother.  Jameston only saw the shadow. 
Today I won’t let minor ‘flaws’ prevent me from seeing the bigger more beautiful picture.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment