Sunday, April 8, 2018


Sober Hedonism –Not an Oxymoron
The New Boss pointed to my handout and said, “Sober hedonism sounds like a contradiction in terms. How can you be sober and hedonistic at the same time?”

I said, “Imagine you’re a kid who moves into a mansion. You discover a closet where you can play when life is good, and hide in when you’re scared or sad. It becomes your happy/hiding place.   One day your parents lock that closet. Would you explore the rest of the mansion or would you stare at the closet door?”

“I’d explore the rest of the mansion.”

“Being sad because I don’t drink is like staring into that closet, without exploring the rest of life’s mansion.  I may miss my happy/hiding place, but if I look around I’ll find things I enjoy much more. The more I enjoy the rest of life, the less I crave the things I can’t have.”

Today I will explore life’s mansion.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment