Friday, September 21, 2018

Shut Up!
The next weekend was Indian summer, with a light breeze and a high of sixty-five degrees. People who rarely went outside could be seen soaking up whatever sun they could, knowing a dismal late fall and dreadful winter waited like muggers hiding in an alley they had to walk past.  I hauled my bike to the Butler-Freeport trail.

I got on the trail at Bonniebrook Road and pedaled to Freeport, loving nature, knowing this would be my last chance to ride my bike for a long time.  The trail ended in a parking lot with paths to the Allegheny River. I rode part way down a path to bring my mileage to 16.5 miles. The tiny trip computer attached to my handlebars told me I’d made the trek in under an hour.

I turned around and pedaled. The first half was slightly downhill. Going back, my legs felt heavy and the uphill grade slowed me down. That annoying voice that had contributed to so many bad decisions started yakking.

“What’s the point of a personal best?” “You’re not racing anybody but you. Slow down.”  “You’ll never keep up this pace.”  I really wanted to listen to the voice.

I made the return trip in an hour and fifteen minutes, a record for me.  I fist pumped the air thrilled I hadn’t given in to the voice. This was the same voice that had told me I’d never get sober. Or lose weight. Or finish my novel.  It felt great once again to silence that voice.

“Today I won’t ignore the voice of doubt. I will silence it.”

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment