Thursday, December 6, 2018

Fighting with my Laptop

The next day I sat down to post my blog. I got an error message when I tried to open the file. Invalid path. I opened the directory looking for that file. Somehow the whole directory had gotten moved. I tried to move the directory back and got a message saying it would take seven minutes to copy the directory.

I cursed my laptop. "I don't want to copy the directory, I just want to open one file," I said, holding my coffee cup over the keyboard where the camera could see. "I'll pour this right into your guts."

The laptop wasn't intimidated. A message flashed saying it would take seven minutes to copy the directory. Twenty minutes later it let me know my file would be copied in six minutes and thirty seconds. "You suck at math," I said. "Seven minus twenty is not 6.5."

I hit cancel. My laptop whirred, made a clicking sound which I took as its way of laughing at me, and flashed a message telling me it was canceling my request and that would take six minutes.

"Now you've done it," I said. "I'm going to have to get the Task Manager." I opened Task Manager and canceled the canceling. "How you like that?" I said looking right into my laptop's camera eye.

I re-opened the directory. Half my files were gone. I cursed again, wrote a blog entry, and got myself another cup of coffee. "You win," I said to the laptop.  'Maybe a night sitting on Brat Boy's worktable, surrounded by the carcasses of all the electronics he's disassembled, will take a byte out of your stubbornness,' I thought.

Today I will accept I can't win them all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment