Monday, December 10, 2018

Need Deep 
Cara had convinced the group to start going to the same Monday night AA meeting.  Trevor, Sam, and I were standing outside when Roger rolled up on an enormous motorcycle.  I turned to Trevor and asked, “Is that the bike he wanted? The one he thought was a good investment?”

“You know anything about motorcycles?” Trevor asked me.

“I know they have two wheels and if you turn the thing on the handlebar they go vroom, vroom.”
“That bike cost more than your car. His crazy wife will kill him.”

I turned to Sam. “Is it at least a good investment?”

Sam shook his head “Not really.  Vehicles have to be classic and rare to gain in value. That bike is just expensive.”

I turned to Trevor who answered my question before I even asked. “Ken, he thought he needed it.  He convinced himself he couldn’t be happy without it.  He’s got at least four bikes already.”

“That’s crazy,” I said, sounding a more than a little judgmental.

“Remember when you thought you needed vodka to be happy?” Sam asked.  

Today I’ll ask myself why I ‘need’ something.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment