Friday, December 14, 2018

I’ll Make It Up To You
Cara’s phone rang.  She turned off the ringer. “Are you going to answer that?” I asked.

“No, it’s just my husband wondering when I’ll be home,” she said with a shrug.

“You take him for granted,” Billie said.

“I’ll make it up to him later,” Cara said. “Kim knows what I’m talking about.”

 Kim asked, “What’s that supposed to mean?”

Billie said, “My ex was always going to make it up to me. Knowing he was doing something for me because he felt bad about not doing something else drained a lot of joy out of it. I felt like he was buying forgiveness for taking me for granted.”

“Oh brother,” Cara said. “Ask him in the morning if he feels taken for granted.”

Billie sighed, “You’ll never learn, Cara.”

Today I won’t take the people I love for granted.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment