Monday, December 31, 2018

Trust Me
 Sue was having an emotional pregnancy, to say the least. When she saw me a week later, she ran up and hugged me, sobbing.  She broke away and stared at my white shirt. “Oh no, oh no, oh no!” she said. “I left makeup on your shirt. Your wife is going to kill you. I’m so sorry. Give me your phone, I’ll call her and explain.”

I laughed. “Dr. Deb is not going to be mad. She’ll joke about me making another woman cry, or ask me if I was flirting with a circus clown. No offense.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’ve never given her a reason to doubt me, mostly because I’ve been sober all these years.”

Sue smiled. “You’re boring and trustworthy. It may be a long time before anyone trusts me again.”

I said, “Trust is a precious commodity for people in recovery.  People don’t easily forget what we were like. I’m lucky that most of the people in my life haven’t seen me drunk.” I took a sip of coffee, smiled  and added, “Oh, and thanks for calling me boring.”

“You just implied I wear clown makeup.”

“Good point.”

Today I’ll be grateful for trust.

  
Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment