Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Help
“Who bandaged your hand?” Billie the nurse asked.  She gestured for him to hold out his arm. He resisted, she shot him that look nurses and drill sergeants use to remind people who’s in charge.

“I did,” Trevor said as Billie unwrapped the gauze strip from his wrist and left hand.

“What did you do?” I asked staring at the open wound.

“I had a disagreement with a sander,” Trevor answered.  “Took the skin right off.”

“I’ll re-wrap it, but you should have that looked at,” Billie said.  “At a med clinic or a doctor’s office.”

“I will,” Trevor said. I knew he wouldn’t. Trevor thought of himself as the ultimate do-it-yourselfer. There was nothing he enjoyed more than not getting professional help.  From the leaky pipes in his basement, to the faulty wiring in his shop, Trevor fixed and installed things on his own, and not very well. I had no doubt he’d keep bandaging his own wound until his hand fell off.

“There are things you fix on your own,” I said to Trevor. “And there at times you get help. I brush my teeth, but I don’t fill my own cavities.” He rolled his eyes.

Today I will seek professional help if I need it.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment