Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Try Long Enough
Sue was at the meeting sitting with Billie and Cara. As Trevor, Roger, and I walked in she said, "It's the old guys!"  I tried to convince myself I wasn't that old, Sue was just really young, and I should be happy she was glad to see us.  We got our coffee and sat across from Billie, Cara, and Sue.

Sue said to Billie, "Most days I'm convinced being pregnant will absolutely keep me sober. Today I'm worried.  What if I can't do this?"

'"What if you can?" Billie asked Sue. She pointed out that Sue hadn't had a drink since she found out she was pregnant. Sue seemed unconvinced.

"I know," Sue said. "You never know until you try, but I’ve tried before."

Billie shook her head, "People try and fail, and don't try again. They never learn what they can do. You don't know what you can do until you do it." She looked at me.

 "Ask Ken if he thought he'd ever get sober.  He'll tell you he didn't think he could until he did."
I nodded. "Trying becomes doing if you try long enough."

Today I will try until I do.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment