Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Novella

Nothing to See Here, Move Along

The next afternoon I spent hours looking for places to submit my short story. I’d spent months writing and rewriting the story until I was sure I had it just right.  I was psyched.

I found two likely publishers and submitted the files.

I said to the dog, “I’m gonna read this one more time, and put it away until I hear back. No more edits.” I opened the file.

And that’s when I saw it. A typo in the very first line of the story, a story I’d read and reread at least twenty times.

Having a typo in the first line drastically reduced the chances the editor would read the second, or so I’d been told.

I let out a string of curses that sent the dog slinking out of the room.

“#$%^&##!!” I said to the cat. “I can’t believe I didn’t catch that mistake.”

“*&^&^^#@,” he hissed back in agreement.

When I got done cursing myself, I put things in perspective. I sent the editors an email asking them to ignore my previous submission, and consider a revised attachment.

Not all mistakes are so easily corrected, and some situations are harder than others to put right.

“But when I can,” I said to the cat, “I want to correct my mistakes, admit I’m human, and move on.”

 

Today I will correct my mistakes and move on.

 

Novella is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

•                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible
 

No comments:

Post a Comment