Thursday, October 16, 2014

FridayOctober 17, 2014


Life on Life's Terms

Momentum
I saw Kate that day and congratulated her on being re-admitted to Duquesne's Law School.  She hugged me, did a little dance step, and threw punches into the air.
"I am so excited!" she said.
"Really?  I wouldn't have guessed."
"It's more than just law school.  Two nights ago I went out for a jog and ran eight miles.  I could have run further.  I signed up for a Thai cooking class.  I read all the time.  And sleep?  I used to either pass out or lie in bed feeling sorry for myself.  Now my dog and I sleep the whole night through."  She paused to catch her breath.  "I've discovered the most beautiful word in the English language."
"Love?" I asked.
"Love, shmove.  I loved booze and Xanax – look where that got me.   I loved that mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragger who dumped me right before my first attempt at law school.  Forget love, momentum is my favorite word.  Momentum carries me through the day and right up to the moment my head hits the pillow for some blissful sleep."

Today I will be grateful for whatever momentum I can generate.
Life on Life's Terms (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose

Upcoming  Trainings

Medications and Twelve Step Recovery
October 22, 2014 at Kerr Presbyterian Church in Verona
9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
$50 payable in advance, at the door, or by invoice after the training

This five hour training is accredited for:
  • Addiction Counselors by the Pa. Certification Board
  • Nurses by the PSNA #101-1-O-14
  • Counselors by NAADAC #477 and NBCC #6352
  • EAPs by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission
  • Social Workers by the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work.

To register, please visit our website greenbriartraining.com or send an email to: kmontrose@greenbriar.net



Other Blogs

AArdvarks, a daily messages blog about a group of young people in recovery, can be found at: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/7190502-sanity-and-beer-muscles

Life on Life's Terms

Ordinary life
Kim was the last to introduce herself to the group.  Blonde, forty-six, and incredibly wealthy, I was surprised she hadn't gone to an upscale rehab catering to the rich and famous. 
"I'm bored with the wild life. I'm not interested in building my fortune any further.  I loathe working for charity.  I've been everywhere, done everything.  There isn't an excess I haven't excelled at."  She exchanged a knowing smile with Tony.
"So what do you want to do?" I asked.
"I'd like to try a new life.  I was clean and sober for six months after my last rehab.  Do you know what I discovered?  Bacon, eggs, and coffee taste best before 10:00 a.m."
Martell chuckled, "You didn't know about breakfast?"
Kim smiled and shook her head. "I've been on a thirty year binge of drugs, booze, sex, gambling, and more drugs. In that time I forgot how much I liked breakfast, and dogs, reading, and having a clear head.  I want to learn to love the ordinary again."

Today I will savor the joys of ordinary life.

RPG: Relapse Prevention Group © 2014 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment