Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Thursday
October 16, 2014


Life on Life's Terms

Good Things, Good People
Just when I was about to lose faith in the entire legal system, Krista sent out an email announcing Kate had been accepted by Duquesne's Law School.  I thought about how hard Kate had worked to get sober, and put her life back together.  Like a lot of people, I struggled to make sense of bad things happening to good people.  I decided I'd compensate by celebrating when good things happened to good people like Kate.


Today I will celebrate when good things happen to good people. 

Upcoming  Trainings

Medications and Twelve Step Recovery
October 22, 2014 at Kerr Presbyterian Church in Verona
9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
$50 payable in advance, at the door, or by invoice after the training

This five hour training is accredited for:
  • Addiction Counselors by the Pa. Certification Board
  • Nurses by the PSNA #101-1-O-14
  • Counselors by NAADAC #477 and NBCC #6352
  • EAPs by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission
  • Social Workers by the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work.

To register, please visit our website greenbriartraining.com or send an email to: kmontrose@greenbriar.net



Other Blogs

AArdvarks, a daily messages blog about a group of young people in recovery, can be found at: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/7180800-fitness



RPG

Good example
Martell was an older black man I had heard him speak at an AA meeting.  His story was inspirational, and seeing him in group sucked the air from the room. 
"What happened?" I asked,
"There was an accident at work.  Young boy, not paying attention, got his hand caught.  When I tried to free him I almost lost two fingers myself." He held up his hand to show a jagged scar running down the middle of his palm.  "After the accident I wasn't as worried as I should have been about the painkillers. They were never my thing.  By the time I realized I was hooked, I was in deep."
"I'm sorry you relapsed, but I'm glad you're here and not home eating Vikes," I said.
"Me too," Martell said.  "I could retire and do nothing but eat painkillers.  I'd have company, 'cause that boy got hooked too.  He doesn't think he has the strength to get clean.  Before I retire, I want to set a good example for him.  I want to show him anybody can get clean."

Today I will be grateful for people who insist on setting a good example.

RPG: Relapse Prevention Group © 2014 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment