Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Wednesday
October 14, 2014


Life on Life's Terms

Insanity
The memo was from The Boss and The Other Ken.  All inquiries from federal agencies, attorneys, or the courts were to be forwarded to The Boss.
"What's this memo about?" I asked Josh when he walked past my office.
"So Smiley found out he couldn't sue the FDA for firing him, but he did find a lawyer willing to help him fight to keep his job," Josh said.
"He got a DUI with a stolen gun in the car."
"He's arguing that he wasn't drunk, and David gave him the gun."
"His BAL was .13 and Smiley took the gun without David's permission.  He pointed it at David."
"True, but Smiley's attorney will argue that none of this was proven in court, and the FDA jumped the gun by firing him."
"Smiley can't possibly win the arbitration," I said.
"The Boss thinks he might, even if he eventually loses over the DUI and stolen weapon charges."
"Just because the FDA didn't wait for Smiley's trial?  That's insane."
"You know the old saying, 'the whole world's crazy except for me and you, and I'm not so sure about you.'"


Today I will accept the world's insanity.
Life on Life's Terms (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose


Upcoming  Trainings

Five MISA Groups (and pointers on running them)
October 15, 2014 at Kerr Presbyterian Church in Verona
9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
$50 payable in advance, at the door, or by invoice after the training

This five hour training is accredited for:
  • Addiction Counselors by the Pa. Certification Board
  • Nurses by the PSNA #101-1-O-14
  • Counselors by NAADAC #477 and NBCC #6352
  • EAPs by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission
  • Social Workers by the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work.

To register, please visit our website greenbriartraining.com or send an email to: kmontrose@greenbriar.net



Other Blogs

AArdvarks, a daily messages blog about a group of young people in recovery, can be found at: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/7177906-help


RPG

Off the leash
"Hey, we got a Michelle and another Michelle in this group," Tony pointed out.  "How am I supposed to keep them straight?"
"They don't look anything alike and one's twenty years older than the other," I said.  "I think you'll be able to tell them apart."
"Nah, one of them needs a nickname," Tony said half joking.  He looked at the older Michelle who just shrugged. 
The younger Michelle stared at her shoes. "In high school they called me 'Leash' because my boyfriend kept me on a short one.  He never let me do anything unless he was right there with me."  She started to cry softly.
"I had a girlfriend who was on a leash our sophomore and junior years," Julie said.  "Right before senior year, she dumped him.  We started calling her 'Syll' for See You Later, Loser.  That morphed into Seal.  Seal runs her own accounting firm now.  She's 90% of the funding for a women's shelter in the North Hills.  You remind me of her, right after she broke her leash. Can I call you Seal?"
The younger Michelle smiled and nodded, "It beats being called Leash."
"I would never be on a leash," Tony said.
"You have a bottle of vodka in your car," Julie said.  "You're on a liquid leash.  So am I.  I gotta tell you something.   Being off the leash, like when you're clean and sober, or when you're really in love with someone who doesn't want to keep you leashed, that's the best."

Today I will celebrate being off the leash, whatever that leash was.

RPG: Relapse Prevention Group © 2014 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment