Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Thursday
October 9, 2014


Life on Life's Terms

Acceptance in Advance
The next day The Other Ken told me Kate had applied to Duquesne's law school, and she was planning on applying to Pitt's as well.
"I gotta say, I'm so impressed with that girl," The Other Ken said.
"How so?" I asked.
"You can tell she's already accepted whatever happens.  I think she'll be OK whether she gets into a law school or not."
"Acceptance in advance.  We should all be so mentally tough."
  

Today I will try to accept outcomes in advance.

Life on Life's Terms (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose


Upcoming  Trainings

Five MISA Groups (and pointers on running them)
October 15, 2014 at Kerr Presbyterian Church in Verona
9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
$50 payable in advance, at the door, or by invoice after the training

This five hour training is accredited for:

  • Addiction Counselors by the Pa. Certification Board
  • Nurses by the PSNA #101-1-O-14
  • Counselors by NAADAC #477 and NBCC #6352
  • EAPs by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission
  • Social Workers by the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work.


To register, please visit our website greenbriartraining.com or send an email to: kmontrose@greenbriar.net

Other Blogs

AArdvarks, a daily messages blog about a group of young people in recovery, can be found at: https://www.goodreads.com/author/dashboard


RPG

Fifty-something
At the first group meeting I asked the members to say a few words about why they were there.  A woman in her late forties said, "My name is Michelle.  About the time I hit forty, my husband traded me in for two twenty year olds.  Three cosmetic surgeries later it dawned on me I was never going to be twenty-something again.  I began drinking and I haven't stopped.  If I don't quit soon I'll be dead before I'm sixty."
"Why do you want to be twenty-something again?" I asked.
Michelle looked at me as if I couldn't possibly have asked a more clueless question.
"If I was twenty-something I'd probably still be with my husband.  If I only looked like I was twenty-something I'd be happy."
"You'd be happy with a man who'd cheat on you because you aged?  I think you'd be better off finding something to be happy about at whatever age you are today."
She rolled her eyes and said, "I wouldn't expect a man to understand."
"I might not understand how you feel about aging, but I know finding something to like about who and where I am on any given day makes staying sober much easier."


Today I will find something to like about who and where I am today.

RPG: Relapse Prevention Group (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment