Monday, October 27, 2014

TuesdayOctober 27, 2014


Life on Life's Terms

Carpe Diem
I walked past Josh the Evaluator's office on my way to get coffee.  I could hear him patiently trying to explain to a middle aged man why he needed detox and inpatient treatment.  The man was insisting on weekly individual sessions to kick his heroin addiction.  He accused Josh of being after his insurance money.
When I got back to my office I sent Josh an instant message, 'Having fun?'
Josh typed back, 'Can't wait to see what the rest of the day is like.'
I knew how he felt.  Sometimes I wanted to hide in my office to avoid getting on me whatever was poisoning that day. Over time I had found those were the days I need to face head on.
I typed, 'Carpe Diem. Seize the day, but wear gloves…'


Carpe Diem, even if you have to wear gloves.
Life on Life's Terms (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose

Upcoming Trainings

Working Supportively with Families and Significant Others   
October 29, 2014 at Kerr Presbyterian Church in Verona 
9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
$50 payable in advance, at the door, or by invoice after the training

This five hour training is accredited for:
  • Addiction Counselors by the Pa. Certification Board
  • Nurses by the PSNA #101-1-O-14
  • Counselors by NAADAC #477 and NBCC #6352
  • EAPs by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission
  • Social Workers by the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work.

To register, please visit our website greenbriartraining.com or send an email to: kmontrose@greenbriar.net


Other Blogs

AArdvarks, a daily messages blog about a group of young people in recovery, can be found at: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/7252857-proof-reading

RPG

Courage/time = change
Seal had been standing beside Martell listening to the conversation.
"You are so brave," she said to Martell.  "I would've been too scared to put my hand in that machine."
"Were you scared when you left your abusive boyfriend?" I asked.
"Every day for months," she said.  "I could have used Martell's courage."
Martell put his arm around her shoulders and said, "I was scared to death, but the whole thing was over in a minute.  You've been courageous for a long time."
"I admire your courage just as much as I admire Martell's," I said to Seal. 


Today I will remember change requires courage over time.
Relapse Prevention Group (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment