Thursday, October 2, 2014

Friday
October 3, 2014


Life on Life's Terms

Humble acceptance
"Did I tell you my ex-father-in-law wants me to be a pallbearer?" David asked
"I thought he hated you," I said.  "He's already planning his own funeral?"
"He used to hate me.  Now he doesn't.  He said he'd never met anybody so screwed up turn his life around.  If you knew him, you wouldn't be at all surprised he's planning his funeral.   He's the most organized human being I've ever met."
"You don't seem happy about being his pallbearer."
"I'm proud I turned my life around.  I just think he's giving me way too much credit.  He's a legend and I'm just a successful businessman.  I don't want to let him down."
"When you think about it, you will be letting him down, at least one last time." 
"What are you talking about?" David asked.
"Never mind," I said, wondering why nobody seemed to get my humor. "I agree with him, you really have turned your life around.  You're accepting an honor you've earned, but staying humble.  That's a big step forward for you.  You used to arrogantly believe the world owed you."


Today I will humbly accept whatever I've earned.
Life on Life's Terms © 2014 by Ken Montrose

To order other Greenbriar publications:

Upcoming  Trainings

Suicide, Violence, Mental Illness, & Addiction
October 8, 2014 at Kerr Presbyterian Church in Verona
9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
$50 payable in advance, at the door, or by invoice after the training

This five hour training is accredited for:
  • Addiction Counselors by the Pa. Certification Board
  • Nurses by the PSNA #101-1-O-14
  • Counselors by NAADAC #477 and NBCC #6352
  • EAPs by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission
  • Social Workers by the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work.

To register, please visit our website greenbriartraining.com or send an email to: kmontrose@greenbriar.net


Other Blogs

AArdvarks, a daily messages blog about a group of young people in recovery, can be found at: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/7107234-when-the-honeymoon-s-over

RPG: Relapse Prevention Group

Basic Training
"How'd you do it?" someone shouted to the oldtimer as he stepped to the podium for his thirty year chip.
"I didn't die and I didn't drink," he yelled back.
"Got to be more to it than that," a newcomer whispered to me.
"Do whatever you can to improve your odds of not dying and not drinking," I said.  "And be grateful while you do.   Those are the basics."
"But there's more, right?"
"There's always more, but there's no point in doing more if you haven't done the basics.   If I'm writing my fourth step sitting on a bar stool I'm likely to relapse.  I haven't taken care of the basics, I haven't done everything I can to improve my odds of staying sober.

Today I will take care of the basics.
RPG: Relapse Prevention Group © 2014 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment