Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Thursday
October 2, 2014

Life on Life's Terms

Screw ups
"How are your boys?" I asked David.
"My oldest just got a job as an environmental engineer.  The middle boy is at veterinary school, and the youngest just got into the Air Force Academy."
"You must be very proud."
"I'm proud of Nancy.  I wasn’t a good husband, and at best I'd say I was a mediocre father."
Nancy was his second wife. I wanted to tell him he was wrong about being a bad husband, but he'd have known I wasn't sincere.  I said, "You cheated on Nancy, you did nothing about your bipolar disorder, and you could be a bit of a prima donna."
"Hey Ken, don't sugarcoat it," David said sarcastically.
"Hear me out," I said. "But you clearly loved her and the boys.  Maybe that was enough not to ruin them for life."

Today I will be grateful for things I didn't ruin.
  

Life on Life's Terms © 2014 by Ken Montrose


Upcoming  Trainings

Suicide, Violence, Mental Illness, & Addiction
October 8, 2014 at Kerr Presbyterian Church in Verona
9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
$50 payable in advance, at the door, or by invoice after the training

This five hour training is accredited for:
  • Addiction Counselors by the Pa. Certification Board
  • Nurses by the PSNA #101-1-O-14
  • Counselors by NAADAC #477 and NBCC #6352
  • EAPs by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission
  • Social Workers by the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work.

To register, please visit our website greenbriartraining.com or send an email to: kmontrose@greenbriar.net


Other Blogs

AArdvarks, a daily messages blog about a group of young people in recovery, can be found at: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/7098033-wait

Smart Bears, Angry Rats

Epilogue: Final
I hugged my daughter.  "I finished the story about the rats and the bears."
"Aren't you glad you listened to me and took a chance on writing it?" she asked.  She had encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone and write something a little different.  "Aren't you glad you finished it?"
I was very glad I had done both.

Today I will start something a little challenging and I will finish what I start.

Smart Bears, Angry Rats © 2014 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment