Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Wednesday
January 14, 2015


Heartache
Seal told the group her cousin, who had been dating her ex, had called.  Her cousin was out of the hospital.  She blamed Seal for being in the hospital and for her new boyfriend’s incarceration.
“Try to follow the logic,” Seal said to the group.  “According to my cousin, I did a lot of dumb things that enraged my ex.  My ex told my cousin he loved me so much, he only hit me occasionally, and only after I provoked him. That allowed his anger to build up, which he took out on my cousin.  He knows he shouldn’t have hurt her, and he’s truly sorry I pushed him into it.  He’s ready to forgive me, but she called to say she never will.”
“That’s insane,” Martell said. “Does your cousin really believe your ex’s line?”
“Not so long ago I would have believed it, just because my ex said it.  Now I see right through him. He’s a manipulative, lying, coward who works on people’s insecurities.  He’s an expert at deflecting responsibility, and playing the victim.” She paused, and added, “I’m grateful.”
“What are you grateful for?” Kim asked.
“He’s a heartache I’ll never have to experience again.”

Today I will be grateful for all the heartaches I never have to experience again.

Relapse Prevention Group © 2014 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment