Wednesday, May 22, 2019


Patience
When I got to my office I started writing an outline for my next book.  The evil viruses that had taken up residence in my throat and lungs woke up, and I began to cough.  I trudged to the office kitchen for a cup of coffee. It hurt to swallow.  

Seated at my desk again, I stared at what I’d written fifteen minutes earlier. It wasn’t good. It wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t good.

What to do? I stalled. I sent Dr. Deb a text with heart emojis. I sent another to Blondie with a heart and a puppy face.   

Brat Boy and I exchanged our usual jabs. I wrote that he shouldn’t be ashamed his girlfriend dated him out of pity, it showed she had a good heart.  He speculated that his mother must have done something horrific in a past life to end up married to me in this one. My last text read, ‘lol, love you.’ He texted back, ‘love you Dad.’

I looked again at what I’d written. I started revising, but the gears in my head turned slowly. My cold was slowing me down.  

“Some days you just have to be patient with yourself,” I said to my laptop.  “Some days progress is measured in inches not miles.”

Today I’ll be patient with my progress.

 Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose
Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment