Thursday, May 23, 2019

 Something’s Rotten
The first person I saw at Monday Knights AA meeting was Trevor.  I said hello.

“Dead things rot,” Trevor said, pursing his lips and looking at the wall to the left of my head.

“Wet birds don’t fly at night,” I said, quoting an old TV show. “What the hell are you talking about?”

“Our marriage has started to rot. My wife has three new male friends. I kissed Sam’s sister.” 

“No chance of fixing it?”

“It’s over, but neither of us wants to go through another divorce. She reminds of the perfect cellmate. I like her, but I’d really rather be somewhere else.”

“Now what?” I asked.

“We admit the marriage is dead, bury it before it rots more.”

He took a gulp of coffee and continued. “It’s like addiction. Addiction is the rotting phase of drug use. All the control is dead.  The fun has passed away.  All the problems the addiction causes are rot.”

I wondered if there were dead things in my life I needed to bury.  I made a list of habits and beliefs whose usefulness had long ago died away.

Today I will bury whatever is dead in my life before it starts to rot.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment