Wednesday, May 1, 2019


Choices
Sam was at the next Monday Knights AA meeting.  He stared into his coffee cup.

“You Okay?” I asked. “You seem a little out of it.”

“Trying to decide what to do,” he said. “I’ve been offered the chairmanship of my department. I’m not sure I want to take it.”

“So what are you going to do?” I asked.

“What choice do I have?” Sam asked. “You don’t turn down that kind of offer.”

“Do you remember when you were trying to get sober? Somebody would offer you a beer and later you’d say you had to take it? Or when you were on a diet and somebody made cookies? You’d say you had to eat some because you didn’t want to hurt their feelings?”

“I do remember. What’s your point?”

“Now you say no to beer and cookies. We say we don’t have a choice when what we really mean is people aren’t gonna like our choices.”

Sam stared at me. “I can tell my department no, can’t I?”

“Yes you can.”

Today I’ll recognize I always have choices.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment