Monday, May 20, 2019


What a Pain
I was late to work the next day. A woman who’d just started the program was smoking next to the sign that said no smoking in this area. She shrugged when she saw me and ground out her cigarette.

“You OK?” I asked.

 “My father was an abusive drunk,” she said fighting back tears. “When I left home, my little sister was alone with that devil.  She suffered much more than I did. She should be here, not me.”

“What would you do if you broke your leg on the way to see a friend who had been in a horrific accident and was in a full body cast?” I asked.

“I’d get the leg fixed and see my friend,” she said.

“Right. Because you don’t have to be in the most pain to get help. You’ll be better able to help someone if you take care of your pain.”

“Still feels bad,” she said with a sigh.

Today I may have to deal with my pain to help someone hurting worse.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose
Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment