Thursday, February 13, 2020


Big Picture
The ADA brought in an expert witness to explain how blood alcohol was measured. In my experience you blew into a tube and a number appeared on a screen. If the number was high enough there were consequences. 

The expert described in detail the alcohol sensor, brain chemistry, and how the liver processes alcohol.  Deiter’s attorney fought him every step of the way.  I understood he was only doing his job, but he reminded me of people I’d known so bogged down in some detail they couldn’t see the big picture.

People court-ordered to treatment arguing they shouldn’t have to go because the arresting officer didn’t dot an ‘i’ or cross a ‘t’ couldn’t see they truly had a problem.  People ending relationships or quitting jobs because of some minor irritant  couldn’t see they had a good thing going.

I knew at times I had failed to see the big picture while I focused on some detail. At that moment I was irritated with the slow pace of the trial, thinking the whole day sucked.  It took me awhile to see the big picture.  I had woken up that morning to more blessings than I could count.

Today I’ll try to see the big picture.

Jury Duty © 2020 by Ken Montrose
Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment