Thursday, February 20, 2020


Donuts
The trial resumed the next day.  Co brought donuts from her husband’s coffee shop. These weren’t the mass-produced kind from Dunkin’. These donuts were larger, crispier, and tastier. These donuts had personalities. I know this because they spoke to me.  

Maybe the donuts didn’t have souls, but they touched mine. Shane and Co must have seen it on my face.

“You two want to be alone?” Shane asked, pointing to the donut in my hand.

Co laughed, “You know you’re gonna have to leave the donuts here when we go into the courtroom.”

“I’m going to eat this donut slowly, sipping my coffee, and enjoying the moment,” I said. “If I’m not done when court starts, the judge will just have to wait.”

Of course I would enter the jury box with everyone else. I wasn’t going to risk being held in contempt over a donut.  On the other hand, the trial was going to be draining.  I wanted to carve out a moment just to savor.

Today I’ll carve out a moment to savor.

Jury Duty © 2020 by Ken Montrose
Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment