Thursday, February 27, 2020


Clutter
I said, “Shane you seem kinda young to be middle management. What are you, about 23?”

“I’m 27,” Shane said.  “I graduated college in two and a half years.  In five years I went from line worker to Director of Facilities.”

“How’d you manage that?” Co asked.

“I got rid of the clutter,” Shane said. He explained another of what I started calling ‘Shane’s Surprisingly Insightful Theories on Human Behavior’.

“Almost everyone lives with too much.  They clutter their lives with hours of Netflix, or take hobbies way too seriously, or they’re way too involved in their kids’ lives.  Don’t get me started on the emotional clutter.

“Addicted people are the hoarders of clutter,” Shane said looking at me.  “No offense, Ken, but the alcoholic’s life is cluttered with beer bottles, DUIs, lost opportunities, damaged relationships and all the other shit that goes with out of control drinking.”

“No offense taken,” I said, knowing there was still some clutter in my life.

Shane said, “You want to get ahead? You gotta let some of it go so you can focus.”

Today I’ll get rid of some of the clutter.

Jury Duty © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment