Monday, February 3, 2020


People are People
The DA’s opening arguments focused on the law.  She explained why Deiter was being charged, and why Martin had taken a plea deal. It was all very cut and dry.

Then the DA summed up her argument by saying we need to send a message to people.  Maybe she was just doing her job, but I thought I heard a mixture of contempt and anger in her voice. I got the impression she really didn’t think addicted people were truly people.

I got it. People get hurt by other people’s addictions. Most people who get addicted avoid getting help for years, if ever.  I would have bet my house she’d damaged by someone else’s addiction.
I wished I could introduce her to people who’d turned their lives around, who spent much of their free time helping other people recover from addiction. 

“Hold us responsible for our actions,” I said to myself, “but remember, we’re still people.”

Today I’ll remember addicted people are people just the same.

Jury Duty © 2019 by Ken Montrose

Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


FREE THIS WEEK
The Kindle version of My Plan to Ruin Your Life: The first recovery book written by your Addiction
https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment