Friday, January 31, 2020


Judgment Day
At lunch I thought about Martin’s attorney’s argument. He seemed to be saying Martin was legally impaired at .11, but his judgment wasn’t affected at that blood alcohol level.  He implied Martin’s three DUIs made him a little more careful.  After all, Martin quit drinking when he was ‘only’ at .11.

Was he really arguing alcohol had improved Martin’s judgment? There were things I had liked about alcohol, but I couldn’t think of a single time it had improved my judgment. 

After half a case of beer I might discover I knew karate, or should have been a philosophy major, maybe a singer/dancer/comedian/bouncer.  I’d notice the woman with the vacant stare was kind of cute, in a stalky, maybe her last two boyfriends’ deaths really were accidents, cult follower, sort of way.

I couldn’t think of a single time alcohol had improved my friends’ judgment either.

Today I will remember alcohol never improves judgment.

Jury Duty © 2019 by Ken Montrose

Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment