Thursday, January 16, 2020


Jury Duty for Example
I was watching TV with my eyes closed when my daughter Blondie dropped an envelope in my lap.

“Somebody’s in trouble,” she said. “It’s from the Butler County Courthouse. If you go to prison, can I have your car?”

“Probably parking tickets,” I said, I tore open the envelope, preparing for the worst.  “Nope, jury duty.”

“Will you try to get out of it?” my daughter Blondie asked. 

I really didn’t want jury duty.  In my twenties I had served on a jury for six weeks.  Multiple defendants had been tried for murder. Part of me felt like I had done my bit.

On the other hand, Blondie had obviously picked up on the popular notion that jury duty was something to avoid.  I wanted to set a good example, knowing actions speaking much louder than words, especially excuses.

 “No,” I said. “If you’re called, you serve.”

Today I will set a good example.

Jury Duty © 2019 by Ken Montrose
Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment