Monday, January 20, 2020


Open Minded
We were herded into the courtroom. The blonde woman discovered she was wrong on two counts.   She didn’t have a constitutional right to hold onto her phone. The judge did have the guts to throw her in jail.

After a deputy dragged her away, the District Attorney questioned us.  The DA asked what I did for a living. 

She told me the case involved drunk driving. Could I be fair and impartial? I thought I could, but the question got me thinking. Was I really open-minded?

I’d dealt with people suffering from denial, the ultimate in closed-mindedness. A man with three DUIs refused to believe he had a drinking problem. He seemed likely to get a fourth.  A woman divorced four times, couldn’t accept she played a role in her failed marriages. I didn’t see her ever living happily ever after.  Parents who couldn’t accept their 45 year-old son wasn’t holding the drugs for a friend, and really needed to grow up.

The closed-minded are often blind-sided when the truth hits them.  I didn’t want to be one of them.

Today I will be open-minded.

Jury Duty © 2019 by Ken Montrose

Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment