Wednesday, January 29, 2020


Support System
“Speaking of coffee,” Dr. Deb said, “you’re almost out. How much have you been drinking?”

I dodged the question. “Some countries that grow coffee also produce cocaine.  If the coffee market collapsed, they’d be forced to export more coke. Drinking coffee supports legitimate business while fighting drug cartels.”

Dr. Deb rolled her eyes. I went on.

“Did you know Dunkin’ Donuts hires mostly recovering addicts?”

“You made that up,” Dr. Deb said.

I had, but I said, “You don’t know this because recovering Dunkin’ employees strictly guard their anonymity.  Donuts have holes to remind them of handcuffs. Cops hang out in donut shops to see people they’ve arrested who’ve turned their lives around. Other people eating donuts keeps Dunkin’ Donuts in business.” 

“So eating donuts is your way of supporting people in recovery and law enforcement?”
I nodded my head and smiled, thinking maybe I should actually do something to support someone’s recovery.

Today I will do something support someone in their struggle to recover.

Jury Duty © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment