Wednesday, January 15, 2020


Prairie Lane
Sue had a little boy she named ‘Prairie Lane.’ I was afraid to ask why, assuming years of substance abuse played a role.

Sue beamed at her son, but told me the world seemed even scarier now than it had when Baby Katie was born.   “I can’t stop watching the news and worrying,” she said.  We talked about common fears, and post-partum depression, and how it never hurt to talk to a professional.

As I held Prairie, I thought Sue had a point, the world could be a frightening place. On the other hand, every generation seemed to solve two problems while creating one new one. Two steps forward one step back.   I wondered what his generation would bring to the world. 

“He’s a little bundle of hope,” I said to Sue.  

“The world’s a mess, kid,” I said to Prairie. “Can’t wait to see what you’re going to do about it.”

Today I will have hope.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose
Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

Thanks for reading these posts. Tomorrow I’ll start a new series, Jury Duty.  I hope you’ll enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment